The Mobile Professor
I’m Ellen Bluestone, a Philadelphia based Mobile Professor—a supportive, experienced, one-of-a-kind professor with a digital platform that allows me to serve your academic needs without the constraints of institutional affiliation.
As the Mobile Professor, I offer you the guidance, support, knowledge, and skill-building I’ve been offering students in college classes for 30+ years, but on an individualized basis, tailored to your precise needs—along with a mix of humor, excitement, and dynamism that’s rarely found in higher education.
In my many years of teaching, I’ve developed the ability to read students as well as their papers, and to figure out what they need and how to provide it as quickly, thoroughly, and effectively as possible.
Editing & Revising
Colleges where I’ve Taught
- Harcum College
- Villanova University
- Immaculata University
- Rutgers University
- Douglass College
- West Chester University
- Pennsylvania State University
- Widener University
- Fairleigh Dickinson University
- Southern New Hampshire University
- Strayer University
- BA Wellesley College, Art History
- MA Villanova University, English
- Recipient of the Margaret Esmonde Award for Excellence in Scholarly Research
- PhD/ABD Rutgers University, English
- Fellow of the National Writing Project, West Chester University
- Fellow of the Pennsylvania Literature Project, West Chester University
- Certificate in The Philosophy and Appreciation of Art from the Barnes Foundation
- Subject Matter Expert/Writer of “Graduate Studies in Victorian Literature,” a widely praised online course, for Southern New Hampshire University
- Member of the Art Team at the Barnes Foundation, 2020
- Outstanding Faculty Member, Interfraternity and Panhellenic Council, West Chester University, 2005
- Excellence in Teaching Award, COCE, Southern New Hampshire University, 2017
My teaching philosophy is that people learn best when they like what they’re doing, so I make sure that every session is enjoyable as well as informative. I find ways to make grammar and punctuation comfortable and painless, literature and art accessible and exciting, and writing of all types satisfying, challenging, and rewarding. I tailor classes around a person’s individual needs and interests. My teaching techniques are varied and never monotonous.
- I regard myself as your collaborator and coach, not an authority on high.
- I support both original thinking and respect for scholarship and accurate documentation of sources.
- I will make you laugh, deepen your thinking, empower you intellectually, heighten your communication skills, and increase your confidence.
- Using a combination of Skype and shared documents such as Google doc, I will work with you in real-time, user-friendly sessions that are as effective as private in-person classes.
Let’s Learn Together!
I look forward to hearing from you and helping you reach new heights in whatever you’re pursuing!